When drawing symbols for sigil magic, you should try your best to make a sigil that’s somewhat aesthetically pleasing and feels good to use.
Here are three sigil creation tips that can help you with that:
Use these suggestions to improve any symbols you’ve created before, or start to work with them next time you create a new sigil.
Upgrade your sigil magic drawing tool
This sounds incredibly basic and obvious — and it is: What you use to draw your sigil has a big impact on how you’ll perceive it.
Next time, instead of a regular pen or pencil, how about using:
• A charcoal pencil (a personal favourite)
• A thick black Sharpie
• A paintbrush (with paint, of course)
• A gold or silver paint pen (on a black background looks awesome)
Use photo-enhancement apps for sigil magic
Take your sigil enhancement one step further with Prisma: a free, easy-to-use tool that can instantly transform any lifeless symbol into a little work of art.
Here’s how to get the best out of Prisma for your sigil magic:
1. Draw your sigil on a piece of paper
2. Take a focused, close-up shot of your sigil using your phone’s camera
3. Put your photo through one of the filters on the Prisma App
Prisma sigil magic tips
• Tap “Library” to view all of Prisma’s filters, and experiment with settings until you see something you like.
• Drawing your sigil over colours, patterns, or images related to your intent can have interesting effects when processed through Prisma.
• You can activate your new sigil on screen or print it out.
De-letter, disguise, refine your symbol
When drawing your sigil, keep in mind a few things that can really help make it look like a real symbol instead of letters randomly bunched together.
• Take advantage of letters within letters. For example, the letter M is constructed with letters I and V (— IVI, see it?) This is super useful when you’re working with longer statements of intent.
• Use embellishments, like dots, lines, and shapes.
• Disguise letters by drawing them in unique ways from the very beginning.
• Simplify features as needed.
Make better looking sigils
So there you have it: a few ideas for creating a magical, beautiful sigil. Try them out for yourself next time you do sigil magic.
Happy sigil making!
P.S. If all of this interests you but you don’t know what a sigil is, you’ll first want to read the article on how to do sigil magic.